With a welcoming attitude toward international students and a generous approach to post-study employment prospects, Canada is a well-liked place for graduate study. 

What is it like to pursue a Masters degree in Canada? Our book includes crucial details on housing, living expenses, and other significant facets of student life. 

You can read our guide to postgraduate study in Canada, learn about funding and tuition for Canadian Masters programs, or search for Canadian university rankings elsewhere.

  • How is Canadian study abroad like?

For people who choose to study and live in Canada, its distinctive fauna and breathtaking landscapes rank among the top draws; the country’s woods, animals, protected regions, and water are well known on a global scale. 

More than 71,500 species of plants and animals are known to exist there, along with 20% of the world’s surviving wilderness, 10% of the world’s forests, 25% of the world’s wetlands, and the world’s longest coastline. Canada may also provide a variety of leisure activities, dynamic cities, ski resorts, cultural centers, and cuisines. As you can imagine, Canada’s climate is not as uniform as it appears. There isn’t always chilly weather and snow on the ground. Due to the size of Canada, there are significant climate differences from one end of the country to the other. The majority of Canadians reside 200 miles or less from the southern border. There, you’ll get to experience all four seasons.

  • Accommodation 

As in many other nations, halls of residence (or dorms) and off-campus privately rented housing are also alternatives for Masters students in Canada. 

Students in Canada frequently choose to live in dorms. Halls, which are located on or close to campuses, provide individual or twin rooms as well as community amenities including kitchens, toilets, and laundry rooms. Additionally, students have the option of full board, which includes meals at the university cafeteria. 

Lists of private lodging (flats, apartments, or lodgings) are frequently published by universities and are accessible through the accommodation office. This is not a recommendation, and it is advised that you tour the property before signing a lease. Price, quality, and availability should all be taken into account when conducting your search, which you should begin right away. Depending on the size and location, prices vary greatly. For a room in a shared house, you can anticipate paying between CAD $400 and $800 (USD $325-$645) each month, or between CAD $900 and $3,000 (USD $725-$2,425) per month for an apartment (but you can reduce this cost by sharing with other students).

You’ll probably need to put down a deposit equal to one month’s rent plus at least one month’s rent up front. Make sure you have a lease because it will serve as the two of you’s legal contract, which is often for a year. Most of the time, it is the landlord’s duty to maintain the building and the facility, and you will be expected to take care of the property. 

Universities frequently offer legal counsel to students who choose to reside off-campus. If you require assistance reviewing a lease agreement with a landlord, make sure to take use of the resources available since they are frequently free or offered at a reduced fee.

  • Cost of Living

Although the cost of living in Canada is regarded as being in the middle of the pack, some expenses, such as auto insurance, can be high by international standards. However, unless you wish to live in luxury, it is simple to eat properly and engage in leisure activities without breaking the budget. 

According to Colleges Canada, a group that advocates for Canadian universities, international students should set aside CAD $20,000–30,000 (USD $15,300–22,950) per year for tuition and living expenses. 

The average monthly cost of public transportation in Canada is about CAD $80-150 (USD $60-120), whereas the average monthly cost of meals is CAD $200-462.50 (USD $155-355).

  • Studying while working 

International students with study visas are permitted to work during their studies in accordance with Canada’s strategy for increasing employability. A work permit application can also be made by a spouse. You do not require a separate work permit if you are working on campus, but you must abide by the restrictions of your study permit. 

You need a work permit for off-campus employment, which often specifies that you must be enrolled in full-time studies and work no more than 20 hours per week during term (employment hours during holiday periods are unrestricted). 

Jobs in the hotel and tourism industries are frequently accessible (in some provinces, fluency in French may be especially helpful), and your university may also be able to provide you with information on relevant work opportunities nearby.

  • Additional Information

You ought to be ready by this point for an intriguing Masters program in Canada while studying abroad. Of course, living abroad involves more than just locating a place to live and making a budget for expenses.

  • Banking 

There is no requirement for Masters students to open a bank account (unless they are working for pay on or off campus). It is more practical to have access to a neighborhood branch. 

As non-residents, international students may apply for a bank account. It might be helpful to find out if your home bank is a member of a larger network of financial institutions with locations in Canada. Even before you relocate to Canada, this might be useful when creating a new bank account or transferring money. A monthly cost of roughly CAN $5 (USD $4) applies to having a bank account. You can use checks to pay bills, but you should set up direct debits for recurring costs like rent.

  • Health Insurance 

In Canada, each province is in charge of running its own healthcare system and providing hospital care. The universities they attend offer medical insurance to international students (most of them will arrange healthcare cover on behalf of providers). Having Canadian healthcare coverage is required for your study permit, though you are not required to select one that is provided by your university.